Thursday, April 16, 2009

A long 2 weeks!

2 days after Ben's grandma's birthday she ended up in the hospital. Ben and I go and check on her daily as does his aunt. She had bought groceries for her and took them over in the evening. She was really confused and did not know where she was or who Ben's aunt was. She tried calling us but we were both at work. She called an ambulance and thankfully she went to the hospital I worked at and it was towards the end of my shift. They ran tests on her and did not find anything. They thought at first it was a stroke but it wasn't. They did keep her for 2 days for observation and they think that she wasn't taking her meds like she should. She is now with home health, they come out 3 days a week and straighten up and give her a bath. Ben and I feed her breakfast, his aunt does lunch and we alternate dinner. We make sure she gets her meds. But it's sad because she is starting to get more confused. Yesterday we went over there and she had no idea who we were and I know that broke Ben's heart. I am about to blow a gasket with his family though. Not the ones that live around here because we all have been pitching in, there are 5 of us that take turns and we all work, but the ones that live about 2 hours away or for that matter 30 minutes and don't work but don't want to come down here to spend a weekend with her and just to help. I just don't get it. Please don't get me wrong, I would do anything for her and love her like she is my own grandma. I have known her for 19 years. Like Ben's aunt said, we all have full time jobs and the rest of them think that since we live close we can do everything. We'll manage. I just don't want something to happen and then they come down and blame all of us. I will go off! Yesterday his uncle and aunt from GA are suppose to come down tomorrow, not to help or visit but to plan her funeral! I can't even comment on that right now....

This week the kids have spring break. I'm suppose to be off this week but thankfully it has picked up at the hospital and we have a full house so I went in yesterday for some extra. Today Caitlin and I will be going to grandmas to do some cleaning and visit with her. Caitlin likes to go through the photo albums with her. Although grandma does not know who a lot of them are anymore....last year she could name them all. I think it does her some good though.

Thankful Thursday....

I'm thankful...
1. for my family
2. that work has picked up!
3. for the sunshine we have today...now it's time for yard work
4. that my mom will be here next month for Caitlin's graduation
5. for my friends

4 comments:

Arlene (AJ) said...

Gretchen so sorry to hear about Grandma, know this is a tough time for all of you. Bless all of you that are there to watch over and help her. Sad that other family members can find all type of excuses not to give a helping hand and leave it to just a few to take care of someone in the family. Bless all of you that care and love her enough to do this for her. You're in my thoughts always and I'll keep Grandma in ny prayers.

Lisa said...

Gretchen, sending up prayers for your Grandma, Love and Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about grandma, ((((hugs to all)))). I totally understand where your coming from with the family thing.. It just amazes me how family can act.. Prayers for everyone honey.. If you need to call an Vent you know my #, I'll be here for ya..
Hugs to all,
Lynda

Carlene Noggle said...

I GO THROUGH THE EXACT SAME STUFF WITH MY MAMA. SHE HAD SIX KIDS AND OUT OF THOSE SIX, THERE ARE TWO WHO HELP HER. I, LIKE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SOMEONE CAN DO THEIR OWN LIKE THAT.THANK GOD SHE HAS YOU AND BEN AND THANK GOD THAT YALL HAVE THE FEW OTHERS WHO OFFER TO HELP.
I KNOW YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO SEE YOUR MAMA! GOD BLESS YOU AND TAKE CARE OF YOU,
LOVE,
CARLENE